tape baking

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Jul 6 12:59:28 CDT 2017

On 07/06/2017 09:58 AM, Mark J. Blair via cctalk wrote:

> Can the cyclomethicone be used to help address sticky shed on a tape?
> If it evaporates too quickly to apply it to an entire tape before
> reading, then perhaps by placing a wiper in the tape path to apply it
> during reading would work?
That's what I do when baking doesn't do the trick; e.g. binder
bleed-through.  But, as Al says, don't overdo it.  I used a thick felt
wiper to deposit a thin film on a 2400' reel of tape.  I added more to
the wiper about halfway through.  Perhaps 5 ml or less for the whole tape.

It worked--I retrieved a tape of line printer art from Princeton quite
successfully.  Oddly, nobody was interested in a copy of the files.

Go figure.  Perhaps nobody owns a line printer that takes continuous
forms any more.

--Chuck