Line printer art: (was Re: tape baking)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Jul 7 02:10:36 CDT 2017

On 07/06/2017 10:42 PM, Dave Wade wrote:

> Sadly I don't think that’s much use on Hercules as it needs an AWS or HET file. Is there a format converter any where?

Dunno, but it should be pretty simple.  TAP is discussed with the SIMH
documentation and the AWS format is discussed here:

http://www.cbttape.org/awstape.htm

Mostly a matter of reworking headers.   The surprising thing is that I
know that some IBM tapes can have 128KB records--I don't know how AWS
accommodates this with only 2 bytes for a record length.

And "long block" tapes can theoretically have a single block that's the
length of the physical tape, although one would be an idiot to do such a
thing.  (cf. CDC CYBER NOS/BE 1LT driver)

--Chuck