Cipher F880 with S100 interface card on local CL

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Mon Jul 10 11:50:04 CDT 2017

> On Jul 10, 2017, at 09:15, Jon Elson via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> You could do a controller using the Beagle Bone black and the PRU devices, which are 200 MHz 32-bit microcontrollers built into the Bone's processor.

That's the scheme I have in mind for making a Pertec interface one of these days. Of course, that's far down on my list of projects, so I won't complain if somebody else gets around to it first, and shares the hardware and software designs.

> I used an FPGA to do a formatted Pertec interface for my CDC Keystone drives, but if I were to do it today, I would use the Beagle Bone.

I was previously planning to so that, and I still think that the FPGA approach would feel more natural to me than using the PRUs. But the Beaglebone seems like a much more economical approach. I'd need a processor to control it, an SD card and/or USB and/or network interface to get data and commands on and off, and driver stacks for all of that stuff. I could also get there with a Xilinx Zynq family device, but at 2x or more cost vs. a BeagleBone.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/