Cipher F880 with S100 interface card on local CL

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Mon Jul 10 12:31:37 CDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:00 AM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 07/10/2017 09:50 AM, Mark J. Blair via cctalk wrote:
>
> > I was previously planning to so that, and I still think that the FPGA
> > approach would feel more natural to me than using the PRUs. But the
> > Beaglebone seems like a much more economical approach. I'd need a
> > processor to control it, an SD card and/or USB and/or network
> > interface to get data and commands on and off, and driver stacks for
> > all of that stuff. I could also get there with a Xilinx Zynq family
> > device, but at 2x or more cost vs. a BeagleBone.
>
> I worked out an interface using an Xilinx 95108 CPLD, but again, you
> still need a CPU to interface to it.  It just seems more natural, given
> the I/O count on today's MCUs, to dispense with the CPLD altogether.
>
> --Chuck

FWIW: once upon a time I hooked up a TX-8 to a DOS PC with a network card,
ran MS LANMAN client, and had a networked F880.  I wrote a small RMT
interpreter for it, too.  -- Ian

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."