Through-hole desoldering (was Re: IBM 5110 - Where does the character set live? And other questions.)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Jul 13 19:25:18 CDT 2017

On 07/13/2017 03:32 PM, jim stephens via cctalk wrote:

> There were off brand tips.  made 100% of the difference.  We got some of
> the ones from non Weller sources and they were just not workable.

These weren't--I'm still working on my grocery bag full-o-tips that I
picked up for pennies on the dollar when Sunnyvale Electronics went out
of business.  Red and white Weller packages.  I doubt there was much of
a market for Weller knockoffs in the early 1980s.  When did Sunnyvale
Electroncis go belly-up?  I don't recall--I still have my Pioneer
turntable tat I bought there.

I tried the DS100 with 90 psi air and decided that a good, consistent
suction with a big reservoir was far more suitable.

Look, Weller made the WTCP soldering stations--a design that's endured
pretty much unchanged for decades.  Great stuff.   I'm on my second
heater and still have yet to get to the bottom of my big bag o' tops.

However, they've also discontinued older desoldering tools and
introduced improved ones several times.   That tells me that the DS100
could be--and was--improved.

If I did more through-hole stuff today, I'd probably spring for a new
Weller desoldering rig just to see how much they've improved.

--Chuck

--
--Chuck