Xerox stores

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Jul 15 11:28:36 CDT 2017

On 07/14/2017 09:59 PM, jim stephens via cctalk wrote:

> Backwater == St. Louis, BTW, a place I visit pretty often.
>
> Still my all time favorite, Stu's Gateway Electronics
> still going. Recently touched base with them
> when I found a giveaway.  My cousin caught hell when he
> took me to one of their first locations
> down on Delmar.  You don't take a 10 or 12 year old who
> likes to junk to Gateway w/o expecting
> consequences.

Yup, I first experienced Gateway Electronics on Delmar in
probably 1970.  Wow, it was totally cool!

> Sadly "junky electronics on natural bridge" Electronics
> Exchange is going or gone, with the owner
> retired.  Gotta leave things kind of bleak but for Gateway.

Well, I rarely went to Electronics Exchange in the last 15
years. Stuff was so scrambled, that you couldn't find what
you wanted anyway.  They did have some good prices on whole
spools of #26 stranded wire from Emerson for about $2.
Some of the spools had 1000++ feet on them.  Still using
those. They did have tons of crimp terminals in bins, and I
got some of those.
> I did see a "Boeing Surplus" sign on Lindbergh, north of
> 270, but have not gotten anyone to go
> check it out.

I thought that had closed a LONG time ago, but maybe they
have started it back up.
> The original poster (Jon) had quite a nice pile as did I
> as well, but those were days with a lot more
> nice stuff than now. (70s)

Yeah, it is QUITE a pile, for sure.  Still have my uVAX-II,
although no hard drive for it at the moment.  I have some
ESDI drives with VMS 4.7 on them, and need to see if one of
the controllers I have is format compatible with what is on
the drive.  Not a real high priority.  I have a couple 9
track tape drives.  And, the Honeywell Alert 24-bit airborne
computer,
either the first or second all-IC computer to ever exist.
(Apollo Guidance Computer is the other one.)

But, I have to get rid of some of the junk to make room for
the stuff that actually works!

Jon