HP 12653A line printer interface

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sun Jul 16 22:12:02 CDT 2017

On 07/16/2017 04:50 PM, Paul Berger via cctalk wrote:
> That print technology was pretty common everywhere but at
> IBM for high speed line printers.  When I was in college
> the service bureau that processed our FORTRAN had one that
> if I remember correctly was made by Honeywell and featured
> wavy print lines. The operators told us that printing
> graphic was very hard on this printer because if you
> printed a whole line of the same character every hammer
> fired at once, it made an awful racket and visibly shook
> the printer.

I had a Honeywell printer like that.  Actually, the even and
odd characters were skewed half a letter apart, so it would
print all even characters at one time, and all odds at a
slightly later time. So, it only had 66 hammer driver
circuits, and two power busses driven by giant SCRs.  It
didn't print wavy lines if the sprocket feeds were properly
set for the paper size.

Jon