Removing Pitting and Rust From an Enclosure

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 20 01:37:29 CDT 2017

Well I could always see if I can get electroplating done professionally without spending a fortune, although trying myself with something unimportant is also an option. But first I would need to know what the finish actually is. There seem to be two common finishes to the metal used in MicroVAXen, DECstations and the like, one is a sort of subtle yellow, the other is a silvery finish. In this case it is a silvery finish. Can anyone tell me what those two finished actually are? I am guessing it is nickel. If that is the case, why the copper plating first?

Regards

Rob