RK05 head alignment -- how difficult?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Jul 24 13:51:22 CDT 2017

> On Jul 24, 2017, at 2:31 PM, Fritz Mueller via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the advice, per usual, folks!
>
> To answer the question of "where hard to see", I guess it's really an issue of my old-man-eyes at this point.  I find I need to use a jeweler's headset, or even bench microscope, to really see anything small in detail these days.  It's hard to do that with heads in the drive -- I just can't get my head in there that close around all the fan, cartridge carriage, etc.  And seeing what's going on while trying to clean the top head with a mirror is pretty frustrating.  Perhaps it is time to find/train a younger apprentice :-)
>
> I do have an alignment pack.  In looks to be in good shape.  I have not mounted it yet; after restoring the drives I figured if the heads were going to crash I would let that happen on less valuable media.  But to my pleasant surprise the heads flew (more or less) and I've been able to read packs reliably on the drive (including a DEC manufactured RKDP) without attempting a head alignment.  I did do the servo setup, but even all that was already very close to spot on.

That means the new head is close to the old head position.  Servo setup doesn't have anything to do with it -- RK05 doesn't have a servo that pays attention to the bits on the disk.  That's different from later disk types that have a servo surface (such as RP04) or embedded servo (current technology).

	paul