Re: ✉Re: an interesting article

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Jul 25 09:57:09 CDT 2017

> On Jul 25, 2017, at 10:50 AM, geneb via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2017, Leigh Paulson via cctalk wrote:
>
>> Hey!
>>

>> I've just found that article and thought it might be really helpful to you, you may find it here http://coffeesystem.malware/principal.php?4647
>>

>> Warm regards, Leigh Paulson
>
> Jay, I'll take "EMail Accounts That Have Been Comprimised" for $200.

Be careful with that assumption.  It is very common for criminal email to have forged source addresses.  Just like it's common for criminal phone calls to have forged caller IDs.  A look at the routing headers will often give you a clue; most of the time the source of the message is some nameless third world computer nowhere close to the server responsible for the faked sender address.

	paul