DecWindows on remote display

Richard Loken rlloken at telus.net
Wed Jul 26 12:36:53 CDT 2017

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017, Douglas Taylor via cctalk wrote:

> I decided to try this with a MicroVax 4000/400 and my Windows 7 desktop PC.
> (Rather than fix things around the house)
>
> Much to my surprise the CPU load was 85%, with just a single DECTERM window
> up.  Is this usual or normal?  Typing in commands via the DECTERM window was
> tediously slow.

Which machine was running at 83%, he VAX or the Windoze box?  What are you
running on the VAX?  VMS?  Ultrix?

Both Ultrix and VMS would require tuning to run DECwindows well -
especially VMS.

I have run DECwindows on a VAX 3100 model 300 under VAX/VMS 5.5-1 using the
Motif window manager with a dozen remote DECterms open plus Emacs, a clock,
a calendar, etc. and it gave reasonable performance.  The VAX was both the
X client and the X server except for the remote DECterms that I used to
manage a wide assortment of VMS and Unix machines.

I was able to run Mozilla on it but performance was horrible so I tried a
browser remotely on a Alpha running Digital Unix but that was long ago
and ISTR that the browser crashed because it did not like the monochrome
display on the VAX - that seems wierd.

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV         	  : "...underneath those tuques we wear,
   Athabasca, Alberta Canada       : our heads are naked!"