The first CD

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Fri Jul 28 10:39:06 CDT 2017

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:01:08AM -0400, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
> I don't know if DEC was the first to publish software on CDROM; it
> certainly was fairly early.

Somewhere in my collection I have the first three BSDI releases (I was a
very early customer).

The first two, 0.3.3 and 0.9.1 (IIRC), came out on DC-600s.

1.0 came out on CD-ROM.  Since the readers were so uncommon then, BSDI
took the unusual step of including a CD-ROM reader with it.  Apparently
the economics were that it was going to be cheaper to do that than
having to pay someone to keep manufacturing the DC-600 tapes.

I still have the 5.25" SCSI-1 drive around here somewhere, complete with
the little carrier tray that it required for the media.  (The Sun systems
of that era came with the same drive.)

tl:dr; somewhere around 1991 was the inflection point :-)

mcl