8mm cinemax type film players (almost OT)

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 08:42:23 CDT 2017

> There are companies around who will transcribe 8mm (either form) to DVD
> for quite reasonable prices
> (they'll almost certainly also do 16mm and may be able to do 9.5mm as well
> - I think "single 8" only differs from "standard 8" at the camera)
>
> (remembering the days when I coveted a Bolex H8)
>
> Andy
>
> I guess that depends on your opinion of "reasonable".
>
> I have a number of 8mm home videos my father made but every place I looked
> at was prohibitively expensive (several hundred dollars per reel!!)
>
> Maybe I'll look again but I figure this is going to be a one shot deal as
> the films
> may disintegrate the next time they are used.
>
> bill

I just went to goodwill bought a projector and set up a little screen with
a and black frame and used a nice modern video camera to film the movie
being projected.  It's actually very easy to do.    Take the time to get
the lighting right.  Tip - Project closely to the screen, the smaller the
projection the better the resolution.  There are I am sure lots of youtube
how to videos on this.  Projectors are easy to find in local shops for
$20.  At least around where I live. I own three of them.  Most have a
regular 8 and super 8 adapter so you can switch between the two formats.