Cambridge Workstation woes - VMS 2691 PSU smoke

Ian Frost silvercreekvalley at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 30 10:59:27 CDT 2017

Hi all

I try and boot up most of the working systems I’ve got at least 2-3 times a year, and on a recent boot up of a Cambridge Workstation, I got the dreaded smoke.

The system works fine, but the PSU is clearly stressed. The PSU is a ‘VMS 2691A’, made in the UK, and it looks like the problem is around a large / ceramic 22K resistor. There is a fair amount of brown leakage on the PCB too.

Any body any experience in fixing these old Acorn PSUs - or managed to source alternative modern supplies?

Thanks

Ian