Sperry UTS 40 on Ebay - Statesboro, Georgia

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Sun Jul 30 15:26:44 CDT 2017

On 7/30/2017 4:43 AM, Dominique Carlier via cctalk wrote:
> Can you tell me where the batteries are supposed to be, on which board?
> I disassembled the machine, extracted the 4 motherboards, I did not
> see any batteries anywhere.
> If they are externalized, maybe I removed them a long time ago in the
> idea of replacing them, but I have not yet found where they were
> connected in that case.

I don't know there are batteries, but the device had a lot of
configurations which were retained by some means.  1999 was a bit early
for eeproms that didn't have battery backup of some sort.

If there are no batteries visible, or large super caps which can back up
memory content, that is a good thing.

There may also be Dallas modules in the thing or similar which integrate
batteries.  The components will usually have had a 5 to 10 year
lifespan, and probably won't work so well across power cycles.

thanks
Jim