8mm cinemax type film players (almost OT)

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Jul 30 15:46:35 CDT 2017

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
> On 8 mm types: there's the original 8 mm (later called "double 8"
> because the unexposed film is essentially 16 mm film which is exposed on
> one side, flipped over, and exposed on the other side, then slit in half
> to make 8 mm finished film).

That 16mm film is reporforated - twice as many sprocket holes as "normal
16mm".  It can be made from 16mm by anybody who has a light-tight
perforator (not many around)

I think that I know where my developing tanks are, but no idea where my
splitter is.  THAT is easy to make a replacemnt.

> Then there is super 8, which is a
> different format entirely.  Around the time super 8 was introduced, some
> company came out with yet a third format called "single 8". I haven't
> seen that lately, and I don't know anything about how it relates to the
> other two.  If I remember right, it came in a casette with the two
> spools enclosed in a single figure 8 shaped enclosure, for ease in
> handling.

There was a single 8mm that was pre-split before exposure.  That
disappeared when Kodak dropped it.
There was also a variant super-8 that used a figure 8 cartridge, instead
of the usual coaxial cartridge.