Front Panels - Follow up

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Jun 14 10:27:20 CDT 2017

On 06/14/2017 01:42 AM, Rod Smallwood via cctalk wrote:
> Hi
>
>     We are ok for now but for future and as yet not
> designed panels I can still draw them. (I'm old but not
> that old)
>
> However with modern technology there has to be a
> multi-pass printer that can print on perspex (plexiglass)
> and closely simulate silk screening
>
> My goal is to be able to keep a stock of blanks and print
> to order.
>
> Could everybody keep an eye open for such devices (exclude
> those with excessive price tags and silly ink costs)
>
> Rod

Silkscreen is actually pretty low-tech.  Anybody can do it
in their basement.  (I made a large volume of low-density
circuit boards a long time ago using silk-screen resist for
etching.)  One advantage of doing it at home is you can just
archive the silkscreens, and print one or two panels at a
time.  The professionals recycle the screens after each
batch because they don't have room to store them.

Maybe  your silkscreen provider would be willing to make
your master artwork, or even process the whole silkscreen
and give it to you, letting you store and print the screens
to panels as they are requested.

You would need to make up a printing frame.  This is quite
simple, a piece of plywood with some registration pins and a
couple hinges. There are special hinge/clamp pieces that are
made for silkscreen frames.  Then, you need the inks and
squeegees, all pretty standard items.

Silkscreened inks are REALLY durable!  Think of some
drinking glasses with logos on them.  (Now, I know those are
fired onto the glass, so even more durable.)  I have doubts
some kind of ink that could be printed by a print head could
be that durable.

Jon