dd-equivalent for VMS

Rick Murphy rick at rickmurphy.net
Sat Jun 17 08:06:07 CDT 2017

On 6/17/2017 4:04 AM, Rob Jarratt via cctalk wrote:
> On 06/16/2017 09:04 AM, Ed Thierbach via cctalk wrote:
>>> BACKUP/IMAGE might work.  I have a dim recollection of moving system
>>> drives around that way, but it's been a few decades. :-)
>> I have cloned drives that way for VMS systems.  Backup/image is the tool for
>> that.
>>
> So have I, but it doesn't work for tapes. Unless someone knows a trick that I have not discovered?
MOUNT/FOREIGN/BLOCKSIZE=65534 MUA0:
COPY MUA0: TAPE.DMP

That's it.  You've just got to mount it with a larger blocksize than the
blocks on the tape.
If you encounter a bad block, you're screwed. There's no equivalent to
"ddrescue" that ignores read errors and continues. However, for TK50s,
there's probably no way to recover from a read error anyway.
     -Rick