Full immersion emulation

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Mar 2 00:04:27 CST 2017

On 03/01/2017 10:52 PM, jim stephens via cctalk wrote:

> On 3/1/2017 8:36 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
>> That's one area where CRTs are sooo much better.  The
>> S/360 machines
>> just pounded the hell out of the SYSLOG device.  I guess
>> the Selectrics
>> were better than the Model B-based console typewriters,
>> which always
>> seemed as if they were going to fly apart.
>>
>> As a typewriter, the  Selectric is pretty good.   I still
>> have a
>> correcting Selectri III with a broken drive belt (I have
>> a new belt
>> waiting to be installed), but I haven't gotten up the
>> courage to repair
>> it myself yet--it's not a simple job.
>>
>> --Chuck
> IBM called up the local guy for our area when the
> University bought the 360/50 and told him to report for
> training.  They delivered a /40 for a year because of
> problems with making the 50 work.
>
> He was the regional IBM Selectric repair guy.  The 1050 on
> our systems always ran fine.  As did all the Selectrics
> around the area.  He still had those support calls.

Well, I remember the /50 at Rolla, they ran very little
locally while I was there, mostly used it as an RJE terminal.
Cards and 1402 printer.  So, the 1050 was not real busy.
The /65 at Wash U was very heavily used, and souped up to
the 9's.  It had dual internal memories (as opposed to the
horrible predecessor, a model 50 with LCS, which made it run
slower than a /40).  With the dual identical memory units,
you could use interleaving.  Anyway, they had 2 Memorex 3764
DASD controllers, first with Calcomp 3330 emulators, and
then with Memorex 3350 substitutes.  They got Memorex to
hack up a version of MP65 so that they could take advantage
of RPS.  They also had a bank of Hitachi 200 IPS tape
drives.  And, so, the 1050 was just chattering away almost
constantly from about 7 AM to 7 PM.  I think they finally
got a CRT for the tape operator. But, they kept the 1050 as
main console for the hardcopy record.

Jon