Compaq Portable 286 and Portable III - IDE drives?

Tom Gardner t.gardner at computer.org
Sat Mar 4 12:37:37 CST 2017

I'm pretty sure the Portable III used a Conner IDE disk drive, see
http://chmss.wikifoundry.com/page/Compaq%2FConner+CP341+IDE%2FATA+Drive
probably the CP344 but maybe the CP341 (there is some inconsistency in  the
literature)

However that was the first public IDE drive so it is not at all clear how
compatible the Compaq HBA/driver was with future versions of IDE/ATA, so if
I were you I would get early Conner IDE drives as replacements such as
models CP3024, CP3044, CP344, CP3104, CP3114 and CP3204 - all listed in the
1989 Disk/Trend as Conner PC-AT drives (i.e. IDE drives).

Tom