HP 2647A BASIC/AUTOPLOT47 and DEMO tape preservation

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Tue Mar 7 04:14:03 CST 2017

smecc would like a tape also!  neat!

In a message dated 3/7/2017 1:08:12 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
cctalk at classiccmp.org writes:

Dave,
I am interested. I have an HP 2647 with two restored tape  drives, and have
been looking for this exact tape set. I have some "new"  Athana tapes. Step
1 would be to copy them to a new Athana master tape. Then  step to could be
to make copies available to the group. Step 3 would be to  transfer them to
an archive format, but in essence it's already been done by  the hpmuseum
(in 5.25" 2647 disc format, LIF I presume?). But I don't have  that rare disc
unit and interface card to connect it to the 2647 (if I had, I  could
indeed recreate the tapes). That said, I first need to work on step 0,  which is
lots of practicing recovering DC100 tapes reliably: baking them,  changing
the belt, cleaning the guides... Fortunately I have lots of DC100  tapes that
I need to recover before touching yours. It might take me a couple  month
to get there. Contact me off list if you want.
Marc

> On  Mar 6, 2017, at 1:12 PM, Dave via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a couple of HP 2647A  tapes:  BASCI/AUTOPLOT47 and DEMO.   They
look to be in good  condition.  I have had them in a climate controlled lab
since acquiring  them as part of a sizeable lot of HP tapes last year.
> I am curious if  there are any known good copies of these tapes out
there.   Are  these the same as (i.e., can be created from) the floppy images
available on  hpmuseum.net?
> If these are not already archived, I would be interested  in preserving
them.  I realize that reading tapes this old may be a  "one-shot only"
process, and I don't have the expertise or equipment to be  able to archive these
tapes.
> Is there anyone on this list with the  interest and ability to archive
these tapes and make the images available to  the community in a useful format?