HP 9815A

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 13:17:46 CST 2017

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Jay West via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> Local electronics place has a HP 9815A for sale, the appearance from a 10
> foot distance was "fair" or slightly less than fair condition. If someone is
> serious about it, let me know and I'll inquire further.

No I don't want to try and get it over here...

This machine is interesting from at least 2 respects. It is, IMHO the
only HP desktop
machine to be truely RPN. It has the 4 level stack with automatic
lift/drop like the
handhelds. The older HP desktops with the 3 level stack (9100, 9810) don't have
automatic lift and drop so in my opinion are not true RPN machines.

The other interesting aspect is that this is the only HP desktop calculator (as
opposed to computer) to use a standard microprocessor. Earlier machines
used a TTL-based bit-serial thing, slightlty later ones (HP9825, etc) used an
HP custom processor. But the 9815 has a 6800 in it.

-tony