VT52 keyboard question

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Mar 14 08:20:48 CDT 2017

> On Mar 13, 2017, at 5:07 PM, Henk Gooijen via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> My guess is that the VT52, VT55, VT05 and LA30 are identical.

No, fortunately not.  The LA30 was notorious for having a very bad and very unreliable keyboard.  Some GT40s had that same keyboard as well, I don't remember if that changed later.  The keycap shapes were different too: larger and more square with sharper corners.

I don't remember the VT05 well enough, it may have been like the LA30 or different yet again.

The VT52 keyboard technology shows up in other VT variants of the same family: VT55, VT61/t, VT62.  It is also used in the LA36.  Similarly, VT100 style keyboards show up in other devices of that era: Gigi for example.  And the LA120 may use that generation of switches, I don't remember anymore.

	paul