Pair of Twiggys

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Wed Mar 15 08:17:09 CDT 2017

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017, Chris Hanson wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2017, at 1:46 PM, geneb via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Although I suppose you might have been talking about the software. I mean,
>>> without that whole display/windows/menu/mouse thing he copied from Xerox, to allow ordinary people to use a computer, where would we be?
>>
>> Fixed that for ya. :)
>
> Two problems with this repetition of a bogus meme:
>
> 1. Xerox got pre-IPO Apple stock in exchange for the PARC visits and the
> chance to use and build on what they saw.
>
> 2. What the Apple folks saw and what was implemented for Lisa and then
> Macintosh were vastly different.

Well hooray for Xerox.  Apple still obtained the concepts from Xerox,
regardless of the mechanism.

> - The one-button mouse.
Yeah, god forbid you confuse the poor user with more than one button.

> interfaces. They weren’t just “copied from Xerox.” If you sit someone
> who knows how to use a Mac in front of a circa-1979 Xerox Alto, they’ll
> be pretty mystified.

That's providing you can find one that won't panic and find a safe space
after being exposed to a multi-button mouse. :)

g.
--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007