DEC frontpanel switch replica!

Philipp Hachtmann hachti at hachti.de
Wed Mar 15 19:30:04 CDT 2017

Hi folks,

this might be quite interesting for the folks that miss front panel
switch handles!

As some of you might know I'm currently working (a bit) on a new batch
of Omnibus USB boards. And I have announced that there will be a kind of
handle for the boards this time... I went to my neighbour and showed him
some bits and pieces. He has a nice little workshop for concrete artwork
(https://www.fritzundfranz.com/) and spent a lot of time into perfecting
his moulding skills.
I gave him a pdp8/e yellow switch handle with broken axle (usual
problem) to try what can be done.
Today I came home and he gave me the piece saying that he was unable to
replicate it. I took it (a bit frustrated) and stated that he has
somehow ruined the surface... Haha! It was the replica!
He told me that this was a first "fast" shot including a "rough"
approximation of the colour.

I was stunned!

Here you can see pictures. Even the defects of the original have been
replicated.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sih4qrrw4o3zgbh/AACf7kY7MbGDLt5FYJgfI4kDa?dl=0

He told me that it was a bit difficult to get the holes at the side
right. I think that it would be no problem if they'd be more shallow or
even gone.

* His material is less translucent than the original. Won't probably
change. So a perfectionist could spot the difference.

* He states that he can hit colors even better! (Think of the special
colors!!!)

* The axle stubs would be omitted and made of steel (something I already
plan for repair of that weakest point)

* He is able to produce flawless finish (remember: it's a raw prototype!)

This is not my business. I told him that I'd ask around if there would
be serious interest. He is not in vintage computing and does not work
for free. So one piece would probably cost around 5-15 EUR each,
depending on demand, color etc.

Please give some feedback!

Philipp :-)