Any faithful VT100 Emulators?

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 22 17:00:04 CDT 2017

On 3/22/2017 9:23 AM, Ethan Dicks via cctalk wrote:
> I'm following this thread because I too want a decent terminal
> emulator that works with a variety of vintage text editors (that seems
> to be the torture test) but for Linux or OS X.  Putty seems to be a
> repeat suggestion but it's not for my platforms.
>
> -ethan

On OS X 10.9 and 10.11 I've had pretty good results from a terminal emulator called Zoc from Em-Tec <https://www.emtec.com/zoc/index.html>  It's a guy in Germany and he has a couple products, but I think ZOC is his main thing.  It runs on both Windows and OS X.  It's not free ($79.99) but, for me it was better than anything else.  I tried the current Ericon products for the Mac, and they aren't free either and are a considerable bit more expensive and WAY slower.  ZOC is pretty fast.  I also used ITerm/iTerm2 but neither of them could do serial ports.  ZOC can talk to systems using many protocols, serial included.

The author is good at communication and willing to discuss problems and fixes.  I talked to him initially about some of the keyboard mapping and he was very good about it.

For Linux I've always heard use xterm (Mac, too but I didn't want to run X windows if I didn't have to).

John H. Reinhardt