PreOwned machine privacy - Was: Acclaim Entertainment Indy (with data, emails, etc) on eBay

TeoZ teoz at neo.rr.com
Tue Mar 28 17:51:22 CDT 2017

How do you feel about reading dead presidents personal letters? At some
point personal information ends up being historic information.

If there is money (or more money) to be made associating a Computer to a
company or specific somewhat famous people then sellers will play this angle
for all it is worth. Anything done on company machines is not private to
begin with. What exactly are we going to learn other then people asking for
vacation days, so and so is a shitty boss, the company probably used some
pirated software, and early artwork or code for games might have been pretty
shitty.

I get computers all the time with hard drive intact full of company data
(some defunct, others not) and peoples personal files, music, videos, and
photos. I don't bother looking at any of it, only backing up hard to find
drivers or software keys then wiping the drive. If I did come across a user
that was famous (or infamous) I would probably preserve it (remove the drive
and store it somewhere) while going about my hobby interest with the
machine.

Everything we do today is digital, sooner or later there will be no written
records at all. In the distant future historians will want to know what we
were doing in 2017 and they will have nothing to go by since all the
websites will be long gone and all our files will have been erased or saved
using backup methods nobody can make heads or tales of let alone find the
programs that can read the files and computers that the programs can run on.
So I think a small random fraction of users lives should be around to learn
from. If for some reason we nuke ourselves into oblivion (or more likely
just keep destroying the environment until we can no long function as a
society) then maybe people down the road should look over out private files,
posts, emails, blogs, etc. to see how people could allow it to happen. You
won't be able to see government files because everything will be stamped Top
Secret (or more likely deleted) including your own data they illegally
obtained.