PreOwned machine privacy - Was: Acclaim Entertainment Indy (with data, emails, etc) on eBay

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Tue Mar 28 18:27:38 CDT 2017

On 2017-03-28 6:51 PM, TeoZ via cctalk wrote:
> How do you feel about reading dead presidents personal letters? At some
> point personal information ends up being historic information.

I am not a lawyer, but it almost seems like something that actual law
should cover.

* http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/general-business-law/gbs-sect-399-h.html
* http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/intellectual-property
* http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/publication-private-facts

> If there is money (or more money) to be made associating a Computer to a
> company or specific somewhat famous people then sellers will play this
> angle for all it is worth. Anything done on company machines is not
> private to begin with. What exactly are we going to learn other then
> people asking for vacation days, so and so is a shitty boss, the company
> probably used some pirated software, and early artwork or code for games
> might have been pretty shitty.

"Nothing to hide" arguments don't justify making this public wholesale
(or depriving anyone of privacy).

> I get computers all the time with hard drive intact full of company data
> (some defunct, others not) and peoples personal files, music, videos,
> and photos. I don't bother looking at any of it, only backing up hard to
> find drivers or software keys then wiping the drive. If I did come
> across a user that was famous (or infamous) I would probably preserve it
> (remove the drive and store it somewhere) while going about my hobby
> interest with the machine.

Perhaps what you should do, is contact them, ask if they want the data,
and if they say no - or you can't reach them - wipe it. But it seems
that even doing this much may expose you to liability, so ask your own
lawyer.

> Everything we do today is digital, sooner or later there will be no
> written records at all. In the distant future historians will want to
> know what we were doing in 2017 and they will have nothing to go by
> since all the websites will be long gone and all our files will have
> been erased or saved using backup methods nobody can make heads or tales
> of let alone find the programs that can read the files and computers
> that the programs can run on. So I think a small random fraction of
> users lives should be around to learn from. If for some reason we nuke

How about making this an opt-in scheme, not "my stuff fell into am
unscrupulous stranger's hands and now it's all over the internet".

> ourselves into oblivion (or more likely just keep destroying the
> environment until we can no long function as a society) then maybe
> people down the road should look over out private files, posts, emails,
> blogs, etc. to see how people could allow it to happen. You won't be
> able to see government files because everything will be stamped Top

Your governments have been destroying their internal communications, or
otherwise concealing them, for decades.

--Toby