IBM 4331 Mainframe

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Mon May 1 13:59:33 CDT 2017

From: Guy Sotomayor Jr [ggs at shiresoft.com]
Sent: Monday, May 1, 2017 1:57 PM
To: Bill Gunshannon
Cc: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
Subject: Re: IBM 4331 Mainframe

> On May 1, 2017, at 10:49 AM, Bill Gunshannon <bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> Just hope you don't have a head crash.  Had one when I was at Ft.
> Ben Harrison (a long time ago, when the 4341 was just going into
> production. We had one of the first!) and it sounded like the building
> was coming down.  Hate to think the effect it would have on your
> neighbors.  :-)

The 3340 drives are winchester pack drives.  So the heads are in the packs themselves.
A head crash means that the pack is toast (but it is usually) but doesn’t render the drive
inoperable (just put in another pack).

TTFN - Guy

Yeah, pretty sure those were too.  First tool the IBM Tech brought in
was a shop vac.  He vacuumed out what was left and had us running
again in about 2 hours.

Those were the days!!

bill