Re: Re: Extracting files off “unknown” 8 inch disks. Any thoughts…

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Thu May 4 18:41:30 CDT 2017

On May 4, 2017 3:30 PM, "Terry Stewart via cctalk" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

>Using IMD, or other tools, can you determine the density, bytes per
sector, and sectors per track of the disks (try at least 2)
>Also, is the data recorded single sided, or both sides?

>If you can read it with IMD, then you can start wading through content
within sectors to get more clues about what's there.

Thanks Fred,

Yes, reading them with IMD was one of the first things I tried.  Couldn't
do it at all.  Tons of errors, no tracks could be read.  IMD didn't
recognise the layout at all.

All the disks I tried were like this.

Terry

If they are DEC RX02 format you won't be able to read them on any standard
PC hardware.