Panel ID?

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at
Fri May 12 14:03:39 CDT 2017

More on Transistor Electronics Corporation:

1962 -

Incadescent, Neon, and Nixie displays driven by transistors.

1968 -

Terminal with vector characters (CDC had those too but I don’t think related), and in addition custom incadescent illuminiators on either side. The keyboard just screams Tek4010 but return and shift are regular small keys (WTF?), and instead of the cursor wheels it has arrow keys. Not a storage CRT, you have to buy RAM appropriate to how many letters you might want up.

I remember seeing the Transistor Electronics Corporation industrial control panel modules in surplus stream decades ago, and I swear I’ve seen the non-backplane wire harness style in real life somewhere probably driving decimal digits.  But don’t think I’ve ever seen a TEC Terminal.


From: Cory Heisterkamp [mailto:coryheisterkamp at]
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2017 1:42 PM
To: Shoppa, Tim <tshoppa at>; General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts <cctalk at>
Subject: Re: Panel ID?

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Shoppa, Tim via cctalk <cctalk at<mailto:cctalk at>> wrote:
Cory asks:

I had always thought Transistor Electronics Corporation had something to do with CDC (both in Minneapolis) but CHM tells me I was wrong: it was a spin-off from Univac:

Thanks for digging that up, Tim. I have a real thing for controls and displays; according to that brochure, TEC not only offered components, but complete panels with legends and layout to the customer's spec.

The Univac connection makes some sense as this came from the estate of a retired Univac engineer. Of course, CDC/RemRand lines get a little blurry given CDC's start. -C

More information about the cctalk mailing list