BBS software for the PDP 11

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri May 19 05:23:35 CDT 2017

On 18 May 2017 at 17:16, allison via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> All a DOS BBS was  was a user interface that provided security by requiring
> user/password
> and limiting the commands usable.  The easy was to do that was a version of
> the CMD module
> rewritten to not have things like RMDIR and DEL.

I was never into the BBS scene, because outside North America, local
phone calls cost money. So you paid for every minute you were online
-- quite a lot.

I used (and still use) CIX (www.cix.co.uk) which was a sort of UK
version of BIX, and used offline readers -- you dial up, it sends your
comments, zips & grabs all your messages, and disconnects, as fast as
possible to keep the phone bill down.

But AIUI later-era DOS BBSes often used DESQview to allow multiple
multitasking user sessions, and the BBS sysops were often early
adopters of OS/2 2.

So DOS <> no multitasking...

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com