KDF 8189 processor board foobared (ebay warning)

allison allisonportable at gmail.com
Sun May 21 14:06:51 CDT 2017

On 05/21/2017 01:02 PM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:

> On 5/21/17 8:51 AM, Rob Doyle via cctalk wrote:
>
>> How 'bout a brand new J11-based board for oldie S-100 systems?
> Reinventing incompatible I/O for existing operating systems.
>
> Maybe if they wrote a new unencumbered OS, but I'm not holding my breath.

Its a PITA for even simple os like RT11.
> I don't get why they abandoned their original Eurocard form factor for something truly
> braindead.
S100 fits everthing, even if not well.

> Linear regulators on every card is stupid in the era of high efficiency switchers.

Its the BUS....  Switchers back then were expensive and not efficient,
nor quiet.
back then they were large too.  It also meant a better buss structure to
distribute
5V without undue voltage drop.  It is why DEC Qbus is only so large
before they
went BA123 with two power supplies.  Ever heard a DEC H780 sing,
loudly!  Your
critical of tech as it was.    In the end S100 was the cheap way for the
day not
expecting to become a monster system that they tended to become.

I have a s100 box I made up without them and its a pain to use boards
across
systems without mods.

Systems I do now don't need S100, SS50, or Multibus as I can put all that
on one small card.

> Now he's talking about Multibus, so he can use all of those 8" SMD disk and
> Pertec tape controller boards. Maybe my boxes of that junk will be worth something now.

Multibus was nicer and cleaner but in the end one multibus card can hold an
entire system now and be big and clunky.

Allison