wh.sudbrink at verizon.net
Mon May 22 11:08:08 CDT 2017
Chuck Guzis wrote:
> I don't really want to contribute to perpetuating this thread, but I wonder
> if there's more mercury in an amalgam dental filling (which many
> of us have) than in a CFL. And that mercury is in your mouth.
> Mercury switches were unsurpassed for reliability--I miss them.
> Mercury-wetted relays were also very reliable. Calomel (Hg2Cl2) was used
> as a treatment for syphilis, as a purgative and has a fungicide.
> As a voltage reference, (e.g. in a Weston cell) it was quite valuable.
> It amazes me that being old enough to have endured lead-based paint,
> millions of automobiles spewing tetraethyl lead, mercury in my mouth,
> Mercurochrome being painted on my scuffs and scratches, somehow I
> managed to survive to my golden years.
Don't forget playing with a big tub of Hg in chemistry class.
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
More information about the cctalk