Ideas for a simple, but somewhat extendable computer bus

Veit, Holger holger.veit at
Mon Nov 20 05:20:17 CST 2017

Am 19.11.2017 um 16:08 schrieb emanuel stiebler via cctalk:
> On 2017-11-18 23:48, Jim Brain wrote:
> > Looking at the schematic for the ECB, I cannot find any description of
> > the signals BAI, BAO, IEI, and IEO.  Can anyone shed some light on the
> > function of these signals?
> Here again:
> I have some ECB documentation "somewhere", but I'm moving so it is in
> one of the 100s boxes somewhere :(
> But the guys on the retrobrewcomputers can help you for sure.
> And yes, I like ECB, it was small & simple, you still can get boards
> for it, and the DIN conectors I still use ...

ECB is, like many similar approaches, basically Intel world, i.e. 8085,
8088, Z80 (ok, that's Zilog). It is rather tricky
to adapt to the 6xxx (6502/68xx) world; and given the former Kontron et
al socienty, it was basically used for a Z80 line
of CPU and peripheral boards, not much else.

To add another idea, why not run the IBM-XT bus on the DIN41612
connector? This is to avoid the card edge connectors.
Use A+C with the classic 62 pins of the XT connector (2 are unused), and
add the B pins in case to extend to the AT bus.
While the XT bus is also Intel world, it has been already successfully
used for 68xx (6809) multiprocessing. Read (section "Multiprocessing for the