what is this NCR modem? what did it go to?

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Nov 26 16:38:31 CST 2017

On Sun, 26 Nov 2017, COURYHOUSE at aol.com wrote:
> does the 71 sate seem early?

No, a 1971 date does not seem too early.

The price seems steep, even for a "relatively" early modem.

Bell 103 (300bps) dates from 1962.
The Bell 101 (110 baud) was 1958.

SCROTUS "Carterfone" was 1968  (ruling permitting direct connect)

Bell 212A (1200bps) came out in 1976.

The Livermore Data Systems modems that I sold off were from about 1964?

1970-1972, when I was working at Goddard Space Flight Center (Bldg 26,
"National Space Sciences Data Center"), we used a time-sharing system for
APL.   APL type ball on Selectric terminal.

Yes, 1971 is prior to most mass-marketed "personal computers"
(1978?: Apple, PET, TRS80).
But there were teminals.