Which Dec Emulation is the MOST useful and Versatile?

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 24 12:42:42 CDT 2017

University
> in 1977. When I worked for the uk's Natural Environment Research Council
we
> must have had hundreds of the things. We used them to build "media
> conversion" systems that would copy data from scientific instruments and
> build front end concentrators for our Honeywell L66. More capable than the
> PDP-11 but possibly less easy to hack. Lots of different Operating Systems
out
> there but for some licensing is interesting.  Was used to develop early
Unix

>  The VAX-11 is probably my favourite box. I have several physical VAXen
all
> with the VMS OS installed. Really gives a flavour of what interactive
computing
> was like in the 1970's and 1980's. Very capable but even less easy to
hack, and
> initially big and expensive, which is why the PDP-11 continued to be
available
> for many years.
>
>  There is also the PDP-10/Dec System 10 which was claimed to be a
Mainframe
> but I never met one of these. Probably not for the faint hearted.

Ah the PDP10! Although the very first computer I used was a PDP11, it was so
briefly that I really consider the PDP10 (in DECSYSTEM-20 form) to be my
first computer. It is easy to emulate in SIMH, although the SIMH emulation
is of a less capable processor (KS10) and I think KLH10 is the best emulator
for that (but I have never used it).

For general DEC goodness I would go for a PDP11 or a VAX, preferably both.
And as Dave and others have pointed out, PDP was not really a line of
computers, it was multiple lines of different computers.

I forsee a *long* thread here.

Regards

Rob