TVTropes mention of a certain computer magazine

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 00:45:50 CDT 2017

I was just wasting time with TVTropes and, on the page
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FandomBerserkButton, came
across this quote:

    The editor of one early (late 1970s) British computer magazine
    persistently claimed that the difference between compilers and
    interpreters was "academic", even in the face of corrections from
    knowledgeable readers, until one month he learned the hard way just
    how wrong he was, by wasting three pages of the mag on a worthless
    hex-dump of the workspace of a BASIC interpreter. The mag didn't
    last very much longer after that issue.

Does anyone know what magazine this was? I'm not sure I understand what
the hex dump thing is all about.

--
        Eric Christopherson