The origin of the phrases ATA and IDE [WAS:RE: formatting MFM drives on a IBM PC]

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 07:22:20 CDT 2017

On 10/02/2017 01:46 AM, Alan Perry via cctech wrote:
> There was a call to form the CAM (Common Access Method) Committee of X3T9.2
> (SCSI-2) on 30 Sept 1988 and they first met on 19 Oct 1988. The primary
> goal was to come up with a SCSI subset to facilitate it support in multiple
> OSs and BIOS on PCs. At the first meeting, two items mentioned in the
> minutes seem relevant. 1. Jim McGrath of Quantum was interested in
> embedding SCSI in the drive without a physical SCSI bus and described
> problems with reference to the PC/AT.

Does anyone know why IDE/ATA even came about? I mean, why SCSI wasn't used?
It would have been an established standard by then, the drive complexity
seems comparable to IDE/ATA (i.e. intelligent commands over a parallel
bus), and SCSI controllers can be extremely simple - just a handful of LS
logic ICs - unless you want to add loads of command queuing and such
(again, comparable to IDE)

Did it simply come down to pressure from vendors, wanting to distinguish
between expensive workstation-class drives and something cheaper which
could be associated with the lowly PC?

cheers

Jules