The origin of the phrases ATA and IDE [WAS:RE: formatting MFM drives on a IBM PC]

Tom Gardner t.gardner at computer.org
Mon Oct 2 18:14:59 CDT 2017

Sorry for the typo, I typed 6 where I should have typed 9, as in 1969 when I meant 1989.  But my 20 years typo doesn’t change a thing. L

Chuck’s old Wren III supports the point. Wren III’s began shipping in the late 80s and so his recollection (if correct) that  ‘ the interface is called "ATA", with no mention of "IDE" ’ suggests at least Imprimis wasn’t using IDE at that time but was using ATA.

Porter’s Disk/Trend doesn’t mention IDE until its 1992 edition; its 1988 edition identifies 14 manufacturers of drives having what he called a “PC AT” interface.   As I said, I think the term IDE came into public usage from WD in 1991 or 1992.

I don’t think any digging is necessary but if I had to I suppose I could go to the Computer History Museum and pull up Porter’s files for the early ATA drive manufacturers and see what term their literature uses.

Tom