The origin of the phrases ATA and IDE [WAS:RE: formatting MFM

Tom Gardner t.gardner at computer.org
Wed Oct 4 13:08:25 CDT 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Perry [mailto:aperry at snowmoose.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 12:27 PM
To: cctalk at classiccmp.org
Subject: Re: The origin of the phrases ATA and IDE [WAS:RE: formatting MFM

<snip>

I am continuing to investigate, but I think that IDE came first. I have found references that describe the Compaq/WD/CDC Wren II HH disk (which pre-dates the formation of the SCSI-2 CAM committee) as "IDE". Some of this reportedly comes from the people who did the work (years after the fact). However, I have yet to find period documents that include the term "IDE". I don't know if the people who did the work used the term at the time or were applying it after the fact.

Here are a couple documents that I used as starting points -

 <http://chmss.wikifoundry.com/page/Compaq%2FConner+CP341+IDE%2FATA+Drive> http://chmss.wikifoundry.com/page/Compaq%2FConner+CP341+IDE%2FATA+Drive

 <http://web.archive.org/web/20081004160101/http:/www.ata-atapi.com/histcam.html> http://web.archive.org/web/20081004160101/http://www.ata-atapi.com/histcam.html

alan

I looked at Compaq maintenance documents for the pre-CAM drives and did not find any name for the interface we now call ATA.

Both “starting point” documents were written well after the fact and I can say for sure the Wikifoundry document applied the terms after the fact without any attempt at sequencing.  I knew Gene and I am pretty sure his article did not attempt to time sequence the terms.

Tom