The origin of the phrases ATA and IDE [WAS:RE: formatting MFM drives on a IBM PC]

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 15:27:34 CDT 2017

On 2017-10-05 4:31 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 10/05/2017 11:39 AM, Rich Alderson via cctalk wrote:

I once had a Tecmar SASI adapter  (I still have the documentation and
diskette) I seem to recall that it was mostly buffers which would
suggest that most of the work was done by the device driver. The disks
that went with it where  ST506 drives connected to Xebec S1410 bridge
cards.   This card/device driver also supported having multiple
initiators  so more than one PC could share that massive 10, 15 or 33MB
disk.

The Xbec controller manual that is in the documentation suggests that
the SASI command set was much simpler that SCSI.

Paul.