The origin of SCSI [WAS:RE: The origin of the phrases ATA and IDE ]

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Oct 5 22:40:15 CDT 2017

On 10/05/2017 01:50 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:

> What I found curious was the CDC manual that called SCSI "SASI subset".
> To me that says that SASI was the more elaborate protocol and SCSI
> initially picked and chose from it.

Oh, no!  SASI was VERY simple.  You could read and write a
number of blocks, and sense the error status.
That was just about the total command set.  Even SCSI-I had
a much wider set, to accommodate tapes,
scanners, printers,and other things.  It allowed for several
different types of status sensing, could report
a lot of information about the drive (make & model, physical
configuration, etc.)

At least the Memorex SASI drive/controller I put on my CP/M
system was really basic, as far as I remember.

Jon