formatting MFM drives on a IBM PC

Peter Corlett abuse at mooli.org.uk
Fri Sep 29 06:27:18 CDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 05:36:40PM -0700, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
[...]
> What I find perplexing is the acronym "SATA" for "Serial ATA". The name would
> imply that a drive can be connected to a 5170, but I'm not aware of any SATA
> adapters for the 5170 PC/AT.

SATA has a different electrical interface, but otherwise speaks the same
protocol as the older (P)ATA protocol. Converters are cheap and readily
available.

So yes, you could stick a SATA disk in your old 5170, assuming that the BIOS
doesn't immediately faint when presented with a very large disk.