Password reset for ~1998 AIX on RS/6000?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Feb 1 15:57:40 CST 2018

On 02/01/2018 01:28 PM, Tapley, Mark via cctech wrote:
> Is there a standard procedure for recovering lost passwords for these
> systems, or for resetting passwords? I do have physical access to the
> machine; it’s possible I can find an AIX install disk but it’s
> *highly* desirable to preserve the contents of the existing hard drive.

According to an AIX SME (currently working for IBM), yes, this is a
standard and apparently relatively easy procedure.

The first Google hit (he was being lazy) was this:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg3T1000366

He says it's fairly straight forward.

He did pass along the following pro tip:  "…that was a pci based
system...so he should follow the instructions section for that in the kB
link I sent…"

P.S.  Please don't reply to / hijack an existing thread for a new topic.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die