Interest Check: Belden Thicknet 10base5 Ethernet Coax

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Fri Feb 2 16:22:23 CST 2018

On 02/02/2018 03:10 PM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
> More precisely: ground the cable at exactly one point.  Any point will
> do, but it must be grounded (because none of the taps provide a ground).

Why is that?

Is it in an attempt to avoid current loops / sneak current paths?

I thought the outside of BNC connectors (et al) was typically bonded to
the card edge connector, which is (ideally) bonded to the system
chassis, which should be grounded either directly or indirectly.

So … I'm confused.

Will someone please enlighten me?  Please and thank you.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die