DEC Storageworks

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sun Feb 4 16:14:51 CST 2018

On 02/04/2018 02:42 PM, Douglas Taylor via cctech wrote:
> The alphaserver 1000a I have has a storageworks array.
>
> The disk carriers are green in color, I see storageworks disks for sale
> on ebay that are blue.  What is the difference? Are they interchangeable?
>
> Is it possible (or even wise) to open one of the green carriers and
> change the disk out?

I believe that it is possible to open the carriers and put different
drives in.

If memory serves (often it does not) the drives are single ended narrow
SCSI.  So, in theory, any SE narrow drive should work.  I don't recall
the Alpha using different block sizes, but that may be do to lack of
exposure.

I don't know if there was a difference in the blue enclosures vs the
green enclosures or not.

I do think that some of the external StorageWorks enclosures used High
Voltage Differential to allow enclosures to be greater distances from
the chassis they were connected to.  -  I think there was an interposer
board to translate from High Voltage Differential (HVD) and Low Voltage
Differential (LVD) which the drives used.

My exposure to DEC Alpha equipment was minimal and a LONG time ago.  So
take everything with a grain of salt.  But do be mindful that DEC liked
to mix and match things.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die