HP 9816 CP/M-68K

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 17:14:56 CST 2018

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 3:56 PM, js--- via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> That's really "slick," Glen.    If it's not too burdensome to give a brief
> answer, how would you keep track of the time, or know how long feeding a
> byte at a time took?

On an original PC or XT (without special turbo modes of clones), you could
probably measure time well enough by counting CPU cycles. Otherwise you'd
need a timer. However, if you make the decision to reset the FDC based on
when it asks for data, you just reset it when it asks for the sector
information for the next sector past the last one that you want to format.
(I haven't actually tried that. I used a timer.)