VCF PNW 2018: Pictures!

Charles Anthony at
Mon Feb 19 19:17:29 CST 2018

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 5:02 PM, geneb via cctalk <cctalk at>

> On Mon, 19 Feb 2018, Charles Anthony wrote:
>>> The emulator is running on a Intel Nuc, not a PI.  Also, I was one of a
>> group that wrote the emulator, I can't take credit for the whole thing.
> I could have sworn someone said it was a Raspberry Pi.  My apologies!

No problem.

The emulator will run on the Pi, but *horribly* slowly. Analysis indicates
a very high cache miss rate, which is an ARM killer. Reorganizing data
structures would probably help a lot. GCC has a code reordering feature
which would probably also help. I haven't been able to locate any cache
optimization tools other than valgrind, which makes the code run more
slowly than I am prepared to deal with. I keep thinking that it might be
possible to do a sampling approach -- periodically capture the instruction
counter and the addresses in the cache and try to build up a map of memory
access patterns; use that as a guide to reordering.

-- Charles