Writing emulators (was Re: VCF PNW 2018: Pictures!)

Henk Gooijen henk.gooijen at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 21 13:47:31 CST 2018

Van: Ethan Dicks via cctalk<mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Verzonden: woensdag 21 februari 2018 20:44
Aan: Paul Koning<mailto:paulkoning at comcast.net>; General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts<mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Onderwerp: Re: Writing emulators (was Re: VCF PNW 2018: Pictures!)

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 1:59 PM, Paul Koning via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> If microcode is not user-changeable, or if that capability is not a core feature, then you can easily omit it.  That tends to make the job much easier.  For example, I don't know that anyone emulates the PDP-11/60 WCS.  The absence of that emulation isn't a big deal, unless you want to run the Richy Lary PDP-8 emulator on that emulated 11/60.  (Has it been preserved?)

I have long heard of the PDP-8 emulator that depends on the 11/60 WCS
but every time it comes up, it's always been said to be lost.

Feel free to prove me wrong, anyone.  I'd love to stare at it.

Tekst on my website:

The only other PDP-11 that has a WCS option (KUV11, M8018) is the PDP-11/03, KD11-F processor.
Ritchie Lary wrote the micro-code for the PDP-11/60 to emulate the PDP-8 instruction set, making it the "fastest PDP-8 ever".
It is a pity that the source code seems to be lost. Even Ritchie Lary, the author, no longer had the source when Eric Smith inquired some years back (~2011 - 2012), and Ritchie did not think that anyone else was likely to have it. So, it appears to be lost forever.